Question:
Is it better to ride a MTB with suspension fork or undersized MTB without on the road?
Dr. Speed
2006-04-14 11:40:13 UTC
I'm doing some long rides, and I have a well-fitting Gary Fisher Big Sur with suspension fork, and an older, undersized Univega Alpina Uno with a traditional fixed fork. Which would be better to do long road rides towing a trailer? (and yes, I know the right answer is get a road bike. Downtube broke last week and is being repaired).
Three answers:
The Bear
2006-04-14 12:07:14 UTC
Use the bike that fits. I would be inclined to set the pre-load on the suspension fork pretty high to minimize bounce while standing and climbing. The only other disadvantage is the weight, but fit is definitely more important than weight.
DJ Ksar
2006-04-17 16:26:29 UTC
Having the bike with the proper fit is key. It will be a more comfortable ride plus the day after will be easier on your body. As always make sure to stretch before and after your ride.
caged pop machine
2006-04-17 18:22:16 UTC
It'd be great if your suspension has a lock out. Use the bike that fits. the suspension might make pot holes fun.