Question:
Which bike should I buy?
robnyt
2005-12-09 18:38:02 UTC
Live in NYC and want to buy a good light mountain bike with hybrid tires that isn't expensive. HOWEVER, I don't want to purchase a cheap piece of junk as I do A LOT of riding and need something I can rely on. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Two answers:
teraflop
2005-12-09 18:47:02 UTC
I live in a city too, ostensibly. A few years ago, the bike I chose was exactly that, a light mountain bike. I chose a Haro Escape. It's expensive (good-quality) enough that I don't feat pot-holes and our crazy streets here. Cheap enough I recognize its weaknesses and don't sweat (too much) when I lock it up to grab a video or soda on my routes.
greenido
2005-12-12 03:27:12 UTC
You may want to ask yourself some questions:

* Are you going to go off-rode from time to time?

* Big air jump?

* Only single treks? mostly rode?

Base on your answers I could provide a better answer (more accurate).

However, if you want a bike that will do it "all".

I suggest: 2006 Trek Fuel EX 6, I rode on Trek full-80 and 90 for the past 5 years, and this model is the newest that replace it. I assume here that you are going to pay around $1000.

This model is one of the best entry level model that will make you smile on each ride. It light (considering the price), does not have 'bobing' on the rear shock and ride excellent on dirt as well as one paved rodes.

The idea to have another set of tires is cool. I did it also and then you gain another pair of good bike for 'road' conditions. One little tip: Make sure your rode tires will be less then 2" wide and with 100psi (more or less) cause it will improve your rode speed in 5-10mph.

Other models that I think you might want to check (they are similar to the trek in terms of quality and their cost is around $1K) are:

1. Gary Fisher Big Sur - It's true they are XC, which make them better if you are going to ride most of the time on paved rode.

2.Giant XTC - Another great (fast and light) bike. I rode on them - and the feeling is very good.

Of course there are a lot of other good bikes out there ;)

You might want to do 2 things:

1. Check: mtbr.com - a very good place for information!

2. Go to some shops and try the options. You must feel good on the bike and this is pure personal feeling.